Wednesday 30 April 2014

A tisket, a tasket... A Crochet Towel Basket

Crochet Towel Basket + Deramores Blog Awards

Hello lovely readers,

As usual, I wish the highest levels of peace and tranquillity upon you.


Today's share has a little tale behind it.  Last November, we took a little time off work / school and spent a few days in Ballito, a wonderfully beautiful coastal town about 40km north of Durban.  It was Little Man's very first holiday(!) and it was our first holiday away in about 5 years... Thus, we all totally deserved it!  My brother, whom you may have noticed I  utterly adore, had just done his exams so was also in need of some R&R, so along he came too.

While my little family was occupied with the thrill of having the most fabulous beach within walking distance of the holiday apartment, my brother, it seemed, was more occupied with the thrill of having a very tastefully-decorated bedroom!  A basket on a little table at the foot of the bed was what took his fancy.
  The rectangular white wicker basket was just large enough to house a rolled up bath towel and two rolled up hand towels.  A whimsical addition to any guest room, he hasn't stopped talking about it since.

I recently happened upon a variety of twine I had never crocheted with before at a local hardware store and I bought myself a reel.  The stiffness of this twine, I thought, would make the ideal basket for L'il Bro.


I decided to try my hand at it, here goes...

I included a tip in this pattern which is my contribution towards the Deramores Blog Awards.  The theme this year is "Pass it on."  Read more about that at the end of this post.  Wish me luck :-)

Crochet Towel Basket

This pattern is written in UK crochet terms.

Knowledge of the following is required:
- Magic ring / slip knot
- Chain (ch)
- Double crochet (dc)
- Slip stitch (slst)
- Working into the front loop only
- Working into the back loop only

I used the twine you see in the picture above and a 10mm crochet hook.

This basket will be worked in the round, increasing as usual to obtain a flat base.  Thereafter, you will stop increasing and start 'growing' the basket upwards.  After working the handles, you'll finish off by making the base more distinct.

TIP:  To obtain a flat base that is distinct and crisp (even before starching / shaping), I usually do a round of dc in the front loop only.  Thereafter, I do a round of slst or dc into the back loop of that round.  You will see what I mean in Round 15 of this pattern.

The pattern begins here:

Foundation:  Prepare a magic ring.  Ch 1, 7dc into the centre.  Slst into 1st dc.  (8dc)

Round 1:  Ch 1, 2dc in each stitch till end.  Slst into 1st dc.  (16 dc)

Round 2:  Ch 1, *2dc in next st, 1 dc in next st.  Repeat from * to end.  Slst into 1st dc.  (24 dc)

Round 3:  Ch 1, *2dc in next st, 1dc in each of next 2 sts.  Repeat from * to end.  Slst into 1st dc.  (32 dc)

Round 4:  Ch 1, *2dc in next st, 1 dc in each of next 3 sts.  Repeat from * to end.  Slst into 1st dc.  (40 dc)

(After Round 6)

Continue in this way, working 1 more st between increases on every round until the following round has been worked:
Round 11:  Ch 1, *2dc in next st, 1 dc in each of next 10 sts.  Repeat from * to end.  Slst into 1st dc.  (80 dc)

NOTE:  If you'd like a larger basket, just keep increasing in each round until you're happy.  But, remember to adjust the next few instructions for your size.

Ideally, this pattern should yield a flat disk-like base.  However, due to the tension, yarn type and hook size, my base was becoming a bit 'warped'.  So I did the following 3 rounds to even it out.
[Rounds 12 to 14:  Ch 1, work 1 dc into each st to end.  Slst into 1st dc.  (80 dc)]

Round 15Make certain the right side is facing.  Working into inner loops of previous round only, Ch 1, work 1 dc into each inner loop to end.  Slst into 1st dc.

Rounds 16 to 23:  Ch 1, work 1 dc into each st to end.  Slst into 1st dc.

Round 24:  (Mark placement for handles if you've adjusted the sizeCh 1, work 1 dc into each of next 15 sts, ch 10, skip 10 sts, 1 dc into each of next 30 sts, ch 10, skip 10 sts, 1 dc into each st till end.


Round 25:  Ch 1, 1 dc into each dc on previous row, 10 dc into the chain spaces for handles.  Continue to end.  Slst into 1st dc.


Round 26:  Ch 1, 1 dc into each st to end.  Slst into 1st dc.  Fasten off, leaving a tail of +- 20 cm.  Weave the tail in securely, preferably downward towards the base.

Locate Round 15, where you worked into the inner loop only.  Join twine at the start of this round and work 1 slst into each outer loop to end.  (If you'd like the base to be more distinct, work a round of dc instead of slst).  Fasten off.  Weave in the tail securely.


See how distinct the base is?  Works every time! :-)


Weave in all ends and you're done!

End of pattern.


Next, I got out my largest pot, placed it upside down and placed the lid of a slightly smaller pot on it.  I then wrapped the entire thing in plastic film to protect it from the chemicals in the starch.

(Another tip:  I placed the lid over the pot because my pot base was rounded, not 'angled'.)


I followed the instructions on some starch I bought at Checkers...


... Used the pot as a mould...


... And let it dry for 24 hours!
  

What do you think?



I'm sure my brother will be pleased :-)

If you enjoyed this post, please pass it on by using one of the share buttons below.  Oh yes, and I also love comments!  ;-)

Till next time...

P.S.  This blog entry is my submission to the Deramores Blog Awards 2014.  Deramores is the UK's number one online retailer of knitting and crochet supplies.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if my other comment went through. I didn't get confirmation so I assume it didn't. If it's repeated, no, I'm not mad! Lol. This is the most fabulously fabulous fab thing ever! The idea is awesome and it looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

I promise to read ALL comments because they are THAT important to me.

Comments are moderated so they will not appear here immediately. I would love to get to know you, so please do not remain Anonymous :-)

Thank you do much for taking the time to share your thoughts. I do love reading them :-)