Saturday 10 May 2014

Mandala-making (for Yarndale) - My 1st attempt

Hello there,

I think I have been bitten by the Mandala Bug!

1st Attempt Mandala by CrochetBTW

Well, I have it under control, for now, but there are no guarantees that it will not flare up again soon.

If you're wondering what I'm talking about, read Lucy's post here and you'll learn a thing or two about the brotherhood of crochet :-)

Well, being the kind of person I am, I had to try my hand at creating my OWN mandala before looking at any mandala pattern.  I had some of the yarn from my Election Day project lying around and this is what I've come up with:

A very South African Mandala
 
Not bad for a very first attempt, I think.
 
Here's my colour-coordinated pattern.  It's really simple and you can play around with the colours!
 ~
Inside a magic ring, do 12 trebles.
Round 1:  (Ch 6, sl st to 3rd treble from hook) x 4     (24 chains)
Round 2:  (2dc, 1htr, 1tr, ch 2, 1tr, 1 htr, 2dc) into each loop     (40 stitches)
Fasten off. 

Rejoin new colour into any 2ch space.
Round 3:  [Ch 3 (counts as first tr), 1 tr] into 2ch space, *ch 5, 1tr into final dc of this 'loop', 1 tr into first dc of next 'loop', ch 5, 2 tr into next 2ch space*.  Repeat * to end.     (56 stitches)
Round 4:  1htr into each tr, 6htr into the 6ch spaces.  Continue to end.     (64 stitches)


Join new colour.
Round 5:  Ch 1, 1 dc into each of next 5 sts, 2 dc into next stitich.  *1dc into each of next 6 stitches, 2 dc into following stitch.*  Repeat * till end.
Round 6:  (Ch9, slst into 8th dc from hook) x 9.     (81 stitches)

Join new colour.
Round 7:  (1dc, 1htr, 2tr, 2dtr, 2tr, 1htr, 1dc) into each loop.     (90 stitches)
~
As proud as I am with myself for doing this with no pattern to refer to, I don't think this will be My Mandala for Yarndale... it doesn't look very wheel-y does it?

I'm going to play around some more, maybe refer to some of the patterns Lucy suggested.  Lots of fun to be had!

If you're making a mandala, please share some idea with me!

P.S. Remember, when commenting, you can CHOOSE the profile you'd like to comment with.

6 comments:

  1. Hi. I hope this comment goes through. I lurve your blogs. They inspire me to create and always leave a smile on my face and in my heart. Keep up the wonderful blogging

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for coming back again and again. It really does mean lot. Lots of love

      Delete
  2. Thanks for linking up Waheeda. Its so nice seeing different kinds of craft on this linky. Your mandala turned out great!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marelize. Thanks so much for visiting. And thanks for hosting the weekly party, too :-) Although I'm not a sewist, I love looking at the quilts.... and then dream about learning to quilt :-)

      Delete
  3. Now you have a very pretty star, but you could make it into a wheel if you wanted to by joining the star points with chains and then building out from there. Then you'll have a wheel with a star in the centre. Very elegant.
    I love the idea of a crocheted mandala. I've never seen them before, although I have a drawerful of crocheted lace mats mainly made by my Great Aunts.They taught me to make them too, but I wasn't so keen on thin thread and fine hook! Your style is my style!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marly. Thank you for popping by. Thanks for the ideas! So obvious yet I hadn't considered that :-) I'll give it a try, though the Yarndale mandala needs to measurd 8". I'll see what I can do... or I'll have fun making more :-)

      Delete

I promise to read ALL comments because they are THAT important to me.

Comments are moderated so they will not appear here immediately. I would love to get to know you, so please do not remain Anonymous :-)

Thank you do much for taking the time to share your thoughts. I do love reading them :-)