Saturday 14 June 2014

Slow blogger + Bookmarks from scrap yarn

Hello.  I'm Waheeda and I'm a slow blogger.

I've come to accept I am a slow blogger.  That's thanks to FarahLin, a fellow Instagrammer.  She keeps a lovely blog.  You should visit it some time.

I noticed a badge on Farah's site and realised there are more like me in the world.  I am not alone at all!  I blog about my projects, some complete and some Works in Progress (WIPs) and sometimes I don't blog at all, probably because I'm busy with crochet or I'm living life or I'm crocheting...  You get the idea.  (The badge is borrowed from another fellow blogger who keeps the blog Knotted Cotton.)

~

I've realised, the past few days, that I am in need of some bookmarks.  Two, in fact.  One for Little Guy's bedtime story books and the other to bookmark my own readings.

Here's what I came up with.  What do you think?

CrochetBTW:  Bookmarks
 
I used up some of my scraps for these and I think this is a good project for that.
 
The designs aren't complicated and I'm sure a beginner crocheter will manage just fine.
 

Book-Bunting Bookmark



CrochetBTW:  Bookmarks
 This is simply 3 granny triangles joined together.

Granny triangles (make 3, or as many as desired):
In a magic circle (or ch3 and join to form ring), ch 2, 2dc, ch 2 and 3dc. Then repeat (3dc, ch2, 3dc) twice.  Join to 2nd ch of initial 2ch.  Fasten off.
Round 2:  Join new colour into any 2ch space.  (WORK BOTH YARN ENDS INTO THE STITCHES) ch 2, 2dc, ch2, 3dc.  Then repeat (3dc, ch2, 3dc) into each 2ch space.  Join to first dc and fasten off.
Round 3:  Join new colour into any 2ch space corner.  Again, work all yarn ends into the stitches.  Ch2, 2dc, ch2, 3dc, ch1.  Then, in next space, *(3dc, ch1).  Then, in next corner **(3dc, ch2, 3dc, ch1).  Then in next space * and in next corner **. Till end.  Join to first dc and fasten off.

Once you have as many triangles as you need, you have to join them.  Do that by doing this:

Ch10 (only if you want to keep a tail in your bookmark), dc into one corner of first triangle.  Make sure your triangles are right side up when joining.  Then dc along that one side of the triangle. 
When you come to the end, ch3 and dc into one corner of the next triangle.  Continue in this way until all triangles are joined.
If you'd like to keep a tail at the end, make a few more ch.  Then ch2 and join new colour.  Dc back along your chain, working into the dcs on the triangles.
You could make your bunting strap as wide as you'd like by simply working more rows of dc.

There you have it!
 
CrochetBTW:  Bookmarks

CrochetBTW:  Bookmarks

Lollipop Bookmark

Pentagons are worked in a similar way to the triangles, except that you obviously need to work in more angles (ch2) into your starting ring.

In your starting ring, work (3tr, ch2, 3tr) five times.  Join to first treble and fasten off.
Round 2:  With new colour, join into any 2ch space.  Work (3tr, 2ch, 3tr) in every 2ch space.  Join to first treble and fasten off.
Round 3:  With new colour, join into any 2ch space.  Work *(3tr, ch2, 3tr, ch1) into the 2ch space.  Then **(3tr, ch1) into the next gap.  Then work * into the next corner, and ** into the next gap till the end.  Fasten off.

For the "stick", join yarn into any corner and chain as many as you need to make your stick the length you like.
Then ch 2, change colour, and work dcs back down your chain.  Work the final dc into the corner of the pentagon.
Then ch1, change colour back to the first colour and work slip stitches up your stick.  At the end of the stick, fasten off.

Weave in all ends and you're done!

CrochetBTW:  Bookmarks

CrochetBTW:  Bookmarks

Remember to block your project and apply a good steam or a light press for the best results.  Also remember NOT to let the iron touch your project directly, especially if you're using Acylic (like I am).  I usually use Hubby's handkerchief to protect my smaller projects.

I'll leave you with a few more pictures of the bookmarks at work...

CrochetBTW:  Bookmarks

CrochetBTW:  Bookmarks
 Till next time... Soon hopefully! :-)

Stay peaceful!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I promise to read ALL comments because they are THAT important to me.

Comments are moderated so they will not appear here immediately. I would love to get to know you, so please do not remain Anonymous :-)

Thank you do much for taking the time to share your thoughts. I do love reading them :-)